Monday, July 13, 2015

Late start in garden



   I actually thought I had it beat this year, my habit of always running behind I mean. 
   I had just about everything in the ground by May 21st because we were leaving on vacation. I had arranged for my oldest son, almost 24 to water it while we were away for 24 days. Everything peachy right?
I started my beds.

 I planted my seedlings I grew from seeds, a lot of which I ordered from far away countries and were very rare, others my regular favorites like lettuce, peppers and beans Etc.






But when I returned home from our epic vacation across the YSA I found it had not been watered at all. And sadly most was dead or dying.

   Which left me starting over in the middle of JUNE!

   Now in less than 30 days I am pretty happy with the progress even with very little sunshine in the last month. I have to admit the nearly constant rain has really helped my garden.

Even my grapes are doing well.


These are my quickie pallet beds I threw together when I started running out of space.

I was able to replace most of my lost plants with a lot of volunteer plants I wasn't even aware of from last year's gardens. This year I went much smaller and hadn't checked out the neighboring lots I was using last year. But I was able to come up with DOZENS if tomato plants!!! I was able to buy cucumber plants, and my green beans have grown very fast. My peppers survived but did need nursed along. From June 16 to July 11th I managed to pull a garden together after all, and I really feel hopeful now. I can't wait to see what I can harvest because I have very little idea of what sort of tomatoes I ended up with! So this will be my surprise garden I guess. 


No comments:

Post a Comment