Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Lazy Gardener.

   I probably should have called this blog "THE LAZY GARDENER" I am a lazy gardener, I am always trying to find shortcuts and examples that prove gardening is for everyone even limited mobility and young.
    I always feel my garden motivates me. But I've noticed this year I spend far less time at it than I did last year, which made me glad I went smaller, but it makes it more difficult to "get lost" in my happy place.
    I have about 50 tomato plants and beans, beets, lettuce, herbs, peppers, stubborn cucumbers, squash, grapes carrots etc but they don't need me for much, they just do what they do. 
   It's that time of the season where you just wait.
   I keep looking out expecting to see signs my garden needs me, but it is doing ok on its own for the most part, especially after the recent pruning. 
   Last week I went out and pruned my tomatoes, I was plagued with nasty yellow leaves and spots that looked like early blight. I also sprayed them with Daconil which really helped. 

   I know a lot of people don't believe in pruning but I always seem to do it no matter how I promise myself I won't. 
   I never suggest others do what I do or the way I do because I figure you will eventually find your own way. I don't sucker my plants as most "old style" gardeners do, that is a tried and true, totally acceptable method, I just don't.
   If you find something that works in your garden I am confident you will continue it. That's how people find their own way of doing things in their gardens.  
   I am always looking for simplicity and a way to make it more effortless because as my arthritis progresses and I become less able with age to do certain thing I know I won't love gardening any less.              
   When I'm able to retire from employment I want to still be able to do this thing I love. So I spend time now finding ways to simplify and make it easier. It's not all laziness, it's actually planing for the future! Because just because I like gardening doesn't mean I like back aches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment