Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Community Garden Project

Community Garden

 Join The Grouchy Gardener Group on Facebook and share what makes YOU a Grouchy Gardener:    https://www.facebook.com/groups/471835862876763/
   This year I decided to start a community garden on an empty lot near my house. It wasn't because I didn't have enough to do, with a full time job, a garden to organize and plant for my elderly in law's house over 20 miles away, my own garden in our new home which has not ever been gardened before, or a child we home school, or a brand new blog I wanted to get off the ground, etc.

   I wanted to meet neighbors, make friends, improve my neighborhood and share something that gives me a great deal of joy. 

   The Mayor of our small town (population 5,393 ) was very receptive and agreeable about the idea giving me the OK to use the lot behind our house. It is in flood zone so there shouldn't be issues with water. He called me concerned about something he had recently heard about me charging people to have plots and when I clarified the only charge was an option charge of $10 if a person wanted their plot tilled. He agreed that was reasonable and I was able to ask if we could also use another empty lot across the road from the lot he already gave us. He told me we could as long as no one else was already planning on using it. He also added he has no problem with us selling our produce if we have extra. So we have much more area than we really need, but in my opinion it is better to have more than it is to have less than enough.

   I have a group of about 10 to 12 people who are ready to start as soon as I am. Unfortunately my tiller needs to be repaired!!! I was told it would be ready Thursday, but I have to go get it then go to work so it will be Friday before I can till the plots.   

   These are the lots available. One gets shade most of the morning but sun after about 11am. The other gets full sun all day long.

                                    I am so excited to get started I can hardly contain myself!
                                     I can only hope everyone else is as excited as I am getting.

   It is really such a simple thing to have a garden and I really look forward to having a group of people with something constructive in common that makes our selves and our community better.
 
   I think we will start a facebook group for the people involved with the garden so we can leave messages and information for each other. We have a few who work nights and a few who have regular schedules so it might be a good way to keep in touch.



Join The Grouchy Gardener Group on Facebook and share what makes YOU a Grouchy Gardener:    https://www.facebook.com/groups/471835862876763/

No comments:

Post a Comment