Monday, July 14, 2014

A tribute to Grandma, Mildred Mayer





   This is my Grandma Mildred. She died many years ago, but I think of her more and more often. 
   I think the  words that I would use to describe her  would be, capable, effective and resilient.
   All these years later as I know she crosses my mind more and more often for reasons I am not even sure of, because I never thought of us as especially close at the time, and she often made me help her do things she never made the other kids do, it was usually some sort of chore I didn't like to do so I always assumed she lived the other kids more. Now I see what I learned from those things she took the time to teach me and realize the value of those moments we spent together.
   She thought me how to forge for food and pee in the woods, how to grow and appreciate things and I hope after all the begrudging help I gave her nearly 40 years ago, I now hear her coaching me in my head frequently. I think she would have approved of my unconventional gardening ideas and my community garden. 
   I often wish she was here to add to my ideas or help me figure out what to do in the garden.
    Grandma had what she called a rock garden and always had hundreds of different flowers and bushes and trees.
I think she would have loved the bag garden and no dig beds.



No comments:

Post a Comment